Sari Kolatch is a partner in the litigation department and has tried more than 70 cases to verdict in her more than 25 years of handling complex commercial and criminal cases. Her practice also includes internal corporate investigations.
A large portion of Sari’s practice is the representation of foreign- and U.S.- based corporate and individual clients in complex commercial disputes in both federal and state courts, as well as in arbitration and mediation forums. Sari advises these clients on the litigation strategies that best meet their needs, and prevent the litigation process from overwhelming or undermining their goals.
Some of the cases in which Sari obtained a positive result after trial include:
- The successful defense of a federal securities fraud action in the Southern District of New York involving the sale of real estate interests. In a 59-page decision following a four-week trial, the judge dismissed all claims against the client.
- The successful defense of a debtor against a creditor bank’s action to deny our client discharge of an $11 million debt in an adversary proceeding in U.S. Bankruptcy court for the Northern District of New York.
- The successful defense of a real estate developer against the purchaser of a $22 million commercial condominium who sought millions of dollars in damages for breach of contract in an action in New York State Supreme Court. Sari also successfully defended the appeal of this judgment before the New York Appellate Division, First Department.
- A $3.7 million jury verdict in favor of a multinational aerospace company in an action against a U.S. passenger airline in New York State Supreme Court Commercial Division; and
- Successful representation of a software company sued for breach of contract by a Fortune 500 company. In addition to obtaining a defense verdict on behalf of her client, Ms. Kolatch successfully prosecuted a counterclaim, resulting in her client being awarded the full amount of its claim, as well as attorney’s fees and costs.
- A judgment in favor of a business in a conversion claim against a former employee in an action in the Southern District of New York.
Sari started her career in the Kings County District Attorney’s Office, where she served from 1985-2001. During her tenure at the District Attorney’s Office, she tried to verdict some of the county’s most controversial and sensitive cases, including serial murders and insanity defense cases, and served as Bureau Chief and Executive Assistant District Attorney.
After leaving the District Attorney’s Office, Sari was Director of Investigations at an international corporate investigations firm, where she conducted internal corporate investigations for multinational companies. In addition, Sari assisted clients in implementing fraud and risk prevention programs.
Sari has appeared on CNN and on Court TV, both as the lead attorney on a televised trial and as an expert commentator.
Sari is on the board of directors of American Friends of Alyn Hospital and the Kings County District Attorney’s Office Alumni Association. She was also included in the 2013 edition of the Super Lawyers publication.