Kara Gorycki has represented clients in commercial litigation and complex business disputes for more than ten years. Bringing a business-oriented approach to advocating for clients and preventing the litigation process from overwhelming or undermining their business goals, she has represented corporate clients in both state and federal court at all levels of the litigation process. Kara has been involved from the pleading stage through appeal, and all steps in between.
Her clients have ranged in size from family-owned businesses to multinational corporations, in industries including insurance, healthcare, arts and entertainment, and financial services. She has advised them on disputes stemming from director & officer liability and alleged misuse of corporate funds, contract breaches, fraud, antitrust violations, and product liability. Kara has extensive experience working with expert witnesses, and has developed expertise in preparing experts for deposition and trial.
Kara was a Litigation Associate at Winston & Strawn LLP. Prior to attending law school, she worked at the New York Life Insurance Company, where she drafted policies.
Kara was included in the 2013 edition of the Super Lawyers publication.
Kara volunteers at Safe Horizon, which assists crime victims and victims of domestic violence.
• Co-counsel with Winston & Strawn LLP to secure $20 million judgment after three-week jury trial before Hon. Eileen Bransten where jury found that start-up company defrauded client by misrepresenting the performance characteristics of membrane technology used to dehydrate ethanol. Jury also rescinded 10-year contract and dismissed counterclaim worth approximately $168 million
• Advised private equity firm as to the impact of settlement of action with bankruptcy trustee on primary and excess insurance coverage for alleged wrongful acts of directors and officers of firm who participated in LBO which allegedly caused bankruptcy; drafting of California state court complaint for potential coverage action
• Prosecuted state tort action on behalf of hotel developer against various contractors that conducted abatement and deconstruction of Deutsche Bank Building; argued novel issue on appeal concerning scope of private nuisance claim in construction context
• Drafted Second Circuit appellate brief concerning dismissal of federal CERCLA action on behalf of same client against Port Authority and leaseholders at WTC Site for contamination resulting from events of September 11
• Represented family-owned corporation in successful First Department appeal to vacate $2.1 million default judgment entered against it 9 years prior
• Negotiated return of approximately $500,000 from New York City Parks Department to licensee of golf course and concessions at Randall’s Island
• Negotiated employment agreement on behalf of sales trader employed by institutional broker-dealer