Sports and Entertainment
CTSW has provided business-oriented and multidisciplinary counsel to sports and entertainment clients since its inception. Working with business owners and executives, creative talent, directors and producers, or entrepreneurs, we bring to clients a tightly integrated team familiar with the people, business issues, and risks of sports and entertainment matters combined with the broad experience we bring to every client. Our work has spanned spectator sports to entertainment properties to television, movie, and publishing personalities.
Representative sports matters
• Merchandising and sponsorship agreements for Triple Crown winner American Pharoah. CTSW has also represented the horse’s owner in litigation.
• The purchase of a minority interest in the New York Yankees, an employment agreement for an executive of another Major League Baseball team, and the purchase and sale of multiple minor league baseball teams.
• The negotiation of a transportation services agreement with a professional sports team and professional athletes.
• Endorsement agreements with one of the most recognized and accomplished Major League Baseball players in the last two decades and a former National Basketball Association Most Valuable Player.
Representative entertainment matters
• Negotiating the acquisition of movie rights for the remake of a children’s animated film.
• Estate and tax planning for one of the world’s bestselling novelists over the last twenty years, as well as litigation concerning royalties a former agent claimed he was owed.
• Negotiating an agreement for a new TV show featuring a prominent designer on a cable channel of one of the country’s major media companies.
• Agreements for designers to have their work showcased on home shopping television channels.